Can it be done? Yes it can! This year I am on a misson to make handmade gifts for my family and some of the most difficult people to make gifts for are the men and the teenagers.
My nephew loves Halo and he is one of the most difficult people to buy for in our family. He has expensive taste and likes hard to find items. I thought about things that he likes. He has some jewelry, loves the video game Halo, and likes unique, one-of-a-kind items. This altered wooden card box brings those three things together in a compact, thoughtful, unique gift.
The image on the box lid is printed on Craft Attitude Printable Craft Film and adhered to the lid of the box. Then I accented it with ICED Enamels, chain, snaps, metal buttons, and arylic paint. Inside the box, I made little felt “pillows” to fit in each section. This Walunt Hollow Card box is made for playing cards – I made the pillows removeable so my nephew can use this to put jewelry and trinkets in or he can remove the inserts and use it for playing cards.
The distressing on the lid was especially fun and scary to create – it invovled taking a craft knife to my beautifully shiny ICE Resin finish! Gilder's Paste brings out the details as a final touch.
Here's how to get started:
Generously spray the entire box with Smooch Spritz in Black Velvet to cover. This allows the wood grain to show but gives the wood a great color with a touch of shimmer. Print the image you want onto Craft Attitude Film and let set for several hours. Now, you're ready to work on the box:
- Walnut Hollow Card Box
- ICE Resin® 8 oz. Doming Kit (affiliate link)
- ICED Enamels
- ICED Enamels Medium
- Craft Attitude Adhesive Sheets, 8-Sheet, 8.5 by 11-Inch (affiliate link)
- National NonWovens Felt – hydrangea hippo
- Clearsnap Smooch Jumbo Spritz Carded: Black Velvet (affiliate link)
- Acrylic Paint – DecoArt
- Paint Brushes – Golden
- Chipboard, Chain, Buttons, Snaps – hydrangea hippo
- MP990 Printer – Canon
- Elmers Craft Bond Extra Strength Spray Adhesive (affiliate link)
- Westcott 15153 Hobby Knife Titanium 5 Assorted Blade, Pink (affiliate link)
- Baroque Art Gilders Paste – Highlight Metal, Wood and More! “Silver” 1.5 oz (affiliate link)
What do you think about this project? Are you creating handmade gifts for the men and teens on your list this year?
Thanks for stopping by!
One thought on “A Handmade Gift For a Teenage Boy?”