Well, not right this minute but it will be here before we know it!! Every year my Girl Scout troop, along with other troops in our area, collect items for Santa Claus Inc in San Bernardino, CA. You can learn more about them on their website: Santa Claus Inc. The short of it is that they help over 11,000 kids each year to have a great Christmas.
Two years ago we started making handmade bookmarks for SCI to give to kids at Christmas–they give out a lot of books and what's cuter than a nice handmade bookmark to go with the book?! Last year I started a campaign in January on scrapbook.com (with the Dezine Girlz) and WhoGivesAScrap? to collect bookmarks. I lost steam at about March, right about when Matt was born… so this year I am starting things a little closer to Christmas. We did collect over 500 handmade bookmarks last year though so that was awesome!! I even received bookmarks made by ladies as far away as the UK! In 2006 we donated 454 Bookmarks.
This year “elves are needed” once again!! You know you have scraps you will never use. Cute stickers. Stamps you love to use. Fibers and ribbon scraps. Don't hoard it! Make a bookmark!
Here are the guidelines:
- Make the bookmarks about 2″ x 6″ in size
- Please use an eyelet or grommet to reinforce the hole at the top if you are adding ribbon or fiber through the hole. Please do not staple or glue ribbon. You do not have to include a “tassle” if you don't want to.
- Corner round the edges if possible.
- You are welcome to laminate the bookmarks as well. It doesn't have to be fancy. You can use clear contact paper if you want. Many school supply stores (like Lakeshore Learning) offer self-laminating stations and you can laminate about 100 bookmarks for under $5.
- Make sure they are sturdy–you can glue two pieces of paper back to back if you want to make them more rigid or use a chipboard center.
- Any decorations should be able to lay flat in a book and should be able to hold up against the handling of a child.
- You can sign the back with your name if you like (like “Created with love by: Nancy J”)
- Be creative and have fun!!
- Deadline to mail bookmarks is November 25, 2008. I need to have them all counted and ready to go by the fist week of December.
- Store bought bookmarks are welcome too!!
Just another simple one–used 3 leftover diecuts from a pack and some fun paper. I had wayy wayy more pics of all the bookmarks I made and that everyone else made too. Can I find them? Nope. I searched both computers for an hour, found my old bookmark challenges and the links to the participants galleries weren't working anymore….Sorry! Well, I know you will all knock my socks off…
I'll be posting a PO Box address when it gets closer to the time to mail the bookmarks. In December my Girl Scout troop will present the bookmarks to Santa Claus Inc. Be sure to include your address and name on a sheet of paper in the box with your bookmarks–I'll sign the guest book at SCI with your info and they will send you a personal thank you letter.
I'll also start a slideshow of the bookmarks as they come in (once I get the first box) and keep a running tally at the top of my blog here.
I can't wait to see what you create!! If you have any questions please post them here and I'll answer here too. Thanks so much!!
Please leave a comment here stating your pledge–how many bookmarks can you make? Just 10 a month = 40 bookmarks!! That's 4o kids' lives you will touch!!
Bookmarks for Santa Claus Inc – Jennifer
PO Box 910665
San Diego, CA