Say It With Letters sent us some Heart Shapes to work with this month–I am not a big V-day person but somehow it all came together and I love it! I've been wanting to make a yarn wrapped wreath for some time but the styrofoam bases were too expensive and always seemed to have holes poked in them. So When I say THIS scalloped heart shape, a light bulb went off!
You can purchase this shape here in the Say It With Letters Etsy Shop. Here's how I made it:
- Paint the Heart Shape red.
- Wrap the heart with red yarn, tying off the ends in the back when you're done. There are holes in the back for hanging this wreath on the wall–just move the yarn aside when you're ready to hang and you'll see the holes. I used push pins to put mine up ;)
- Using a hot glue, add doilies, tags (this one is from Joann's this year if you want the same one), berry picks (from a candle wreath also from Joann's this year), buttons, stick pins, etc.
- Add a loop to hang, hot glued to the top, or just use the holes that are already pre-drilled int he back of the wreath shape.
I also got one of the Heart Shaped Ornaments and turned it into a strawberry shaped pincushion:
You can purchase this shape here Heart Shaped Ornaments. To create this pincushion:
- Trace the heart shape onto a piece of red felt. Cut it out using pinking shears.
- Cut at least 10 layers of batting into a rough heart shape. Stack the batting on top of the wooden heart.
- Lay a piece of gingham fabric (this one was under 50 cents in the remnants section at Joann's) over the top of the batting and wood heart. Wrap the edges of the fabric under the wooden heart and secure with some tape runner (I used ATG). After it is all wrapped, secure the fabric permanently to the bottom of the wood heart using hot glue.
- Using hot glue, adhere a piece of wide ricrac (available in my shop here) tight along the wooden heart. This will help hold it all together.
- Cut two leaves using pinking shears from green felt. Fold in half and secure to the top fo the heart shape using hot glue-this makes it look like a strawberry.
- Adhere the red felt heart to the bottom of the pincushion to cover the fabric edges and provide a nice base for the pincushion.
- Add some cut stick pins (also in my shop) for a cute little pin cushion!
One thought on “Valentine’s Day is Coming Up!”
WOW – rad wreath Jennifer – and I adore that pin cushion action!!!