I am forever bringing ugly, overfilled bins of disorganized photos with me to crops. The result is that I get little done and I can never find that “perfect photo” I know is hiding in the box. A couple of times the bin fell over in the car and the photos I had “kind of” organized were a total mess after that.
I created this little photo keeper from envelopes and scrap chipboard to help me organize my photos before I go to the crop AND to limit what I am bringing (because I am one that likes to bring everything AND the kitchen sink!). There is room for photos from 15 different events. So at a 12 hour crop if I do one event an hour I still will have a couple of extras which is great because sometimes I am just not as inspired by some events and it is good to have the option to skip those. The fact that the book closes means I can also safely label each envelope with the event name and date on a Post-It note and not have to worry about the note falling off.
Now, if you know me then you know I am a BIG fan of page kits. So why not just put my photos in page kits? I have ALOT of photos in page kits. That is the problem – I have two rubbermaid tubs FULL of page kits that i just don't seem to ever get to scrapping. Because of Design Team assignments I am always having to create things with new paper and products, usually stuff that is not in my stash. If I put my photos in page kits the product they are paired with is “old” in two weeks. This photo holder will hold photos I just don't have in page kits yet so that I can use that “fresh on the shelf” paper for my DT projects.
I covered two 5” x 7” pieces of chipboard with patterned paper. Then I cut a 1”x5” piece of chipboard and a 3”x5” piece of chipboard and covered them both with patterned paper. I traced a plate onto the 3”x5 piece to get the curved edge and trimmed off the excess. I laid out the back page, then to the right of that the 1″ strip and then to the right of that the curved 3×5″ piece of chipboard.
The flap that folds around to the front is actually attached to the back cover, not the front cover. Using gaffer’s tape, I attached these strips of chipboard together with a little space between the pieces to allow them to bend at the seam.
I love the look of this striped gaffer's tape. I still call it “book binding tape” as they originally called it but I just looked at the label and it says gaffer's tape. A few years ago I totally had an argument with a lady who used to work at an LSS about what this tape was called — umm, I guess she is right. For now anyways! LOL
I bound the two covers and several 5”x7 “envelopes together using the Bind It All and ¾” black O-Wires. To close the flap, I attached a piece of Velcro to the cover and to the flap. Now I have a cute way to keep my photos organized at crops and I’ll be sure to always find the photos I need. The Velcro closure ensures that my photos won’t fall out of the envelopes while traveling in my bag. I wish I had bought self-adhesive velcro — several applications of glue dots did the trick though and I can open and close the velcro part without ripping off the glue dots since I used half a roll to hold them on! LOL So if you choose to make one of these for yourself, I say go with self adhesive velcro or Basic Grey magents (which I know I have but cannot find at the moment).
I think that is a cue that I need to go clean up my scrap space…Oh well, gotta create, mess or no mess!