After binding a few books I’ve found that I have leftover scraps of wires – sections of two to 4 loops of wire that I haven’t quite figured out a way to use. At the same time, my daughter was having trouble storing her necklaces, especially the bulky beaded necklaces that did not fit in the drawers of her little girl jewelry box.
I took one cover from a set of Teresa Collins Covers and punched binding holes along the straight edge. I traced the cover onto a piece of 12×12 paper and then cut it out just inside the line I traced. This made it smaller than the cover itself and I adhere it to the cover so a black border showed around the edges.
I wrapped ribbon and trims around the middle and used stickers and diecuts to create a monogram. The “K” letter was clear and instead of trying to figure out how to cover a glue dot to hold it on with I decided to cover it with glitter.
I stuck the letter to a 3L Scrapbook Adhesives adhesive sheet and rubbed (according to directions) to get the adhesive to stick tot he letter. I peeled off the letter and sprinkled on glitter. Then I took apart a keychain I made at Scrapbook Royalty's big annual fundraiser a couple years ago–I used just the acrylic cover from it that we had edged in Swarovski crystals. I used crystal lacquer to glue the letter to the acrylic keychain cover.
I threaded sections of scrap o-wires through the holes on the bottom of the cover. To help them stay in place I laid several strips of adhesive felt borders over top of the wires. When the piece is mounted on the wall, the wall helps the wires to stay put as well. In punched two holes in the top of the cover with the Pound It All and Rivet Setting Tools from Zutter and then added eyelets using my Crop A Dile. I tied a beaded chain through the eyelet holes using ribbon to create a hanger. My daughter instantly hung her necklaces on the hanger. It worked even better than I had envisioned in my head — woohoo!
This is the back of the cover — I threaded the wires in from the front and then pushed them all the way until the straight sides of the loops were laying flat against the front of the cover. No adhesive, no bending the wires involved.
Here you can see how I used the binding wires, no special treatments, to hang Katie's necklaces:
¾” Black O-Wire, Binding Machine, Pound It All, Rivet Setting Tools – Zutter Innovative
Paper, Cover – Teresa Collins
Ribbon – May Arts (pink polka dot), Floral Supply (tulle, white ruffle trim)
Rhinetsones – Swarovski, Heidi Swapp
Cardstock, Flower – Bazzill
Paint – KaiserCraft
Felt Borders – Queen & Co (pink), Prima (black)
Stickers – American Crafts
Beaded Chain – Walmart (better Homes & Gardens)
Diecuts – Sizzix
Glitter – Polka Dot Whimsy
“K” Letter – Autumn Leaves
Adhesive Sheet – 3L Scrapbook Adhesives
This project could also be used as a key holder, to hold lightweight photos or frames, or even to hold lanyards. For some reason we have lanyards for everything like the gym membership, my scrapbooking stuff, a whistle from when X coached soccer…guess I see another project in my future! Whatever you make, it is best to hang only lightweight items from the wires as they do bend (they are made to bend so you can close them with the Bind It All).
Until tomorrow, Happy Creating!!