I have trouble making holiday decor when it is only going to be displayed for just a couple weeks out of the year. And my neighbors are looking at me weird because I am trying to put out Halloween in the middle of September! LOL
This little topiary was easy and fun to make and it has a definite Halloween bent to it. BUT, I can get use out of it all year long because I gave it a goth feel by using just black, white, and purple on it. It goes great in my teenage daughter's room.
Here's how I created this topiary:
- Create rolled paper flowers from dictionary or old book pages. You can use the phone book if you want – we're spray painting so now worries about what the pages say. Here is a tutorial on making these kinds of flowers: https://hydrangeahippo.com/buttons-and-buttons-and-more-buttons-galore/
- Adhere the rolled roses to the topiary form with hot glue.
- Insert the topiary form into a pot – this one is from Ikea.
- Using black spray paint, paint the topiary black and lightly mist the top of the post to create an ombre effect. Allow to dry overnight.
- Shred dictionary paper and crumple in your hands. Add hot glue to the topiary base and press the shredded paper into it to over the base.
- Adhere strips of washi tape to the “trunk” of the topiary.
- Topiary Form
- Dictionary Paper
- Old Book, Phone Book, or Dictionary Pages
- Hot Glue Gun
- Black Spray Paint
- Washi Tape
- Clay Pot
Wanna know what is really scandalous? I have had these for almost 2 years before I made anything with them! LOL Here is a blog post I did about the forms I got: https://hydrangeahippo.com/thrifty-thursdays-topiaries-part-1/
Thanks for stopping by!