Are you always losing your keys? I am always misplacing my keys under a pile of mail! And when they are in my purse, I usually cannot find them as they drop to the bottom of my bag. I created this giant tassel keychain from Bernat's super soft Softee Chunky Yarn so that I can always spot my keys and easily fish them out of my bag, whether I am looking in the bag or not. I've entered this project into a contest over at FAVECrafts – please VOTE FOR ME!
I have to laugh about when I had brought this giant keychain out of my bag at Target – the lady was so excited! I don't know who she was but she was in line behind me and she just loved the giant tassel and how soft it was. Another bonus is that this key chain touches my knee but doesn't bang against my knee while driving because it is soft. I have had key chains in the past that bang against my knee. My dad always said it was bad for the ignition to have a heavy key chain so this is a perfectly HUGE and lightweight key chain to save the ignition too!
Here's what you'll need to create one of these of your very own… I've linked some of these supplies to Amazon to make purchasing easy for you:
- Bernat Softee Chunky Yarn in NEW Glowing Gold
- Large Split Ring or Binder Ring, 2″ to 3″ diameter
- 5×7 chipboard piece
- Dimensions Needlecrafts Large XOXO Finished Pendant
Here's how to make it:
- Cut a notch into a piece of 5×7 chipboard about 1″ down from the top on the 7″ long side. The notch should cut into the chipboard about halfway. Slip a 6″ piece of yarn into the slot.
- Wrap the 5×7 chipboard along the 7″ side with Bernat Chunky Yarn, about 15 times. Cut the end of the yarn when the tassel is the desired thickness.
- Tie the scrap of yarn in the chipboard slot around the yarn bundle in a tight knot. Remove from the chipboard form.
- Tightly wrap the tassel top with Bernat Chunky Yarn, securing with hot glue every so often until the wrapping is the desired thickness.
- Slip a Binder Ring through all the loops at the top of the tassel.
- Attach a stitched Dimensions Wood Pendant to the Binder Ring with a jump ring.
- Add keys and enjoy!
I also created a video showing the process start to finish: