Do you love bags and pencils cases and all kinds of organizing tools? Me too! See, I knew we liked each other for a reason … Well, as much as I love organizing tools and cute little bags of goodies, I like making them too. This simple felt “clutch” can be a used as a pencil case, a note holder, a make up brush case, and so much more and you can make it in MINUTES. If you've ever wanted to know how to make a pencil case from felt, I'm your crafter and I'll share how to make it for under $2!
This project started as a twist on this felt embroidery hoop craft I taught as a make n take at the Craft & Hobby Association Show last month. You can use the same supplies to make the embroidery hoop craft as the pencil case, with the addition of the embroidery hoop of course.
Another variation on the pencil case is this felt heart card created by Mahe Zehra Husain of AlteredUpcycling.com. Isn't that a cute idea?!
Okay, okay, back to the pencil case…. Mr. Matthew did his case vertically!
This case goes together lickety split but you do need some basic supplies:
- One 9×12 Sheet of Kunin Eco-Fi PRINTZ Felt – these come in tons of patterns! This will be the base of the case.
- Felt Heart – I die cut mine from Kunin Eco-Fi Premium Felt using a Sizzix Big Shot and a heart die. You can use a stencil, like this set from Westcott, to make the heart if you don't have a die cutting machine.
- Embroidery Floss
- Hook And Loop Closure – I used 2 Velcro Tabs
Here's how to put it all together:
- Fold the 9×12 felt sheet in half. Adjust so that one end is about 2 inches longer than the other. This 2 inch piece will be folded down to be the “flap” closure.
- Place the felt heart where you would like it to be on the pencil case. Press it down so the fibers “lock” with the fibers of the felt sheet.
- Unfold the felt sheet and pin the heart into place.
- Thread the needle with embroidery floss. Stitch around ¾ of the perimeter of the heart, 1/8” from the edge of the shape, with 1/4” long stitches. Tie off the thread on the back of the heart with a knot.
- Fold the 9×12 felt sheet back into a pencil case shape. Stitch the sides of the case together with the embroidery floss, 1/8” from the edge of the shape, with 1/4” long stitches. Tie off the thread with a knot on each side.
- Add Velcro tabs to the flap to create a closure.
You can also add a strip of Velcro across the entire flap to make a case that stays completely closed.
Here is the video of the embroidery hoop craft if you want to see another twist on this project:
So now you actually have a few different ideas, from an embroidery hoop heart to a pencil case to a felt greeting card! What would you store in your pencil case?